Reports To: VP of Engineering
Description: The Engineering Manager is an engineer’s direct connection to This Dot. While they interact with the engineers they manage on a weekly basis, they are not involved with day-to-day project details. They are responsible for ensuring the engineers know what is expected of them and are accountable for engineers receiving feedback on their performance. See the responsibilities below for more details.
- At least 2 years of experience managing software engineers or equivalent experience
- Strong management skills
- Ability to give feedback and when needed, navigate conflict and engage in difficult conversations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with modern front-end web technologies
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
Management: responsible for up to 15 to 20 engineers. These engineers will vary across the range of Individual Contributor levels. Examples of activities include:
- Assist and provide accountability for career plans and goals
- Discuss and resolve personnel issues and conflicts
- Gather and provide performance feedback
- Conduct performance evaluations
- Review weekly activities and generate reports of activity
- Manage time-off requests
Project Staffing, examples of activities include:
- Identify staff for incoming projects or changing needs
- Maintain a staff bench and source appropriate bench projects
Hiring, examples of activities include:
- Interview candidates, individually and in panels
- Onboard new team members
Mentoring and training, examples of activities include:
- Meet with 1-2 team members, which do not report to you, on a monthly basis.
- Maintain monthly training schedules, alongside other Engineering Managers, for technical and non-technical skill topics.
Engineering managers are expected to assist in some of these secondary areas from time to time based on prior experience, interest, or need. Some examples include:
- Sales, along with Architects, Engineering Managers may assist during the sales process by joining client calls, assisting with proposals, and assisting with creating sales materials.
- Administering Cloud Products, Engineering Managers may assist with managing user accounts of the various cloud products we use during onboarding.
- Processes, Engineering Managers may assist with organization improvements by creating or adjusting company policies, processes, and procedures.
This Dot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Working with a stellar team focused on advancing the web forward
- Paid time off
- Company holidays
- Great health, dental, and vision insurance plans available